What is the most important rule of songwriting? Some might argue that the most important rule is something like, "Make sure the song is good", "Write every day", or "Write the lyrics first". I wouldn't say that you have to write lyrics first (but if that's of interest to you, it is a great way to write songs, and I've written about it here), but to some songwriters it's important. And while, overall, these three rules might be important to some or even most songwriters, I can think of a rule even more important than all of them:
REMEMBER WHAT YOU WROTE!
Honestly! I can't tell you the number of times I've forgotten parts to songs I've begun to write.
Find a way to keep track of your work. Paper and pen. Better yet, it's the modern age, and if you're reading this you either have a phone or a computer, or both. Use one to record your work in progress.
If you're new to songwriting, trust me when I say to keep track of your work somehow. You will forget things and regret it later.
Find a way to remember what you've written! Then you can consider any other ideas about songwriting that seem important to you.
And be sure to keep writing!
No comments:
Post a Comment