Welcome

Welcome to my blog

Welcome! If you're looking to learn guitar, ukelele, bass, songwriting, this is the place! Learn about me and what I do. About me ...

Friday, 7 April 2017

Northern Sky

As I've mentioned in the past, I used to have a band, the Union of Lanterns. We weren't around for long (that's a story for next week, perhaps), but if you pull a google search (or as I prefer, a "duck duck go" search, because they seem less controlling and authoritarian - duckduckgo.com is my search engine of choice), you can find stuff on us.

Anyway, one of my mom's favourite pastimes is searching for stuff on the band. Admittedly she doesn't do it as often these days, but she used to in our heyday. Well, imagine my surprise when she found a song I didn't even remember recording!

There was (and still is) a website, SonicBids, that allowed you to submit application for various music related contests, competitions, and gigs. Looking back on it, it seems like a bit of a money-grabbing scam that people used to swindle money out of hard working musicians. I never got anything of benefit from using the site... with one exception.

Apparently there was some sort of contest or audition to be on a "Nick Drake" compilation. I recorded the following song, "Northern Sky", in an effort to be on that compilation:

https://www.sonicbids.com/band/unionoflanterns/audio/#Northern Sky (This will take you to a different site, and you'll have to click on the "play" button beside "Northern Sky" for it to work. I couldn't think of an easy way to link to it otherwise.)

I didn't get "win" the contest, but it was neat to discover a recording that I had completely forgotten making. What do you think? Here's the original for reference:

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment