Welcome

Welcome to my blog

Welcome! If you're looking to learn guitar, ukelele, bass, songwriting, this is the place! Learn about me and what I do. About me ...

Saturday, 18 February 2017

Songwriting Sessions: Expand Your Horizons

For the last five weeks I've been writing a song and blogging about my experiences in doing so (you can check out that series of posts by clicking here). I'm going to leave the series be for now, only because it's crunch time for recording my 2nd album and I don't have a lot of creative energy to spare for another project. I will come back to the song, and update, and when I do, I will let you know all about it.

Today I just wanted to share a simple suggestion for you songwriters out there: expand your horizons.

No matter how much you learn about songwriting, there is always more to learn. A new chord progression, a new mode or scale, an alternate guitar tuning, or a new method of writing songs. There's always more space to explore, and I would encourage you to explore that space.

I find a lot of my creativity stems from asking questions like, "What would you get if you mixed song A and song B together?" (where "song A" and "song B" are two of your favourite songs), or, "How hard is it to write a song in lydian mode?", and so on. Always ask questions and try to answer them creatively!

In my opinion, as an artist you are always seeking perfection, but never attaining it. It's a wonderful journey, and I hope you'll pursue it to your fullest.

Expand your horizons!

No comments:

Post a Comment