1) Learn to tune the ukelele: I made a post about tuning the ukelele, which you can check out here.
2) Holding the ukelele: If you're sitting down, you can simply hold the ukelele in you lap. Do it in a way that is comfortable, and makes it easy to reach the strings.
If you're standing, you should be able to cradle it under your strumming arm (usually your right arm).
3) Pick or no pick?
Some people use a pick when playing ukelele. Some don't. Should you use one? I think it's perfectly fine to use a pick so long as you don't strum too hard (you don't want to break a string). Personally, I do not use picks most of the time I play ukelele, but I do on occasion.
When holding a pick, use your thumb and index finger, and make sure you strum the guitar with the point of the pick (not the round part). Hold the pick closer to the tip (point) for better control.
If you're not using a pick, you can use your thumb or your index finger (or any finger, really) to strum the ukelele. Experiment with different fingers and see what works best. I use my index finger but I've seen a lot of people use their thumb.
4) Learn some chords
You'll probably want to learn to play a few chords, as ukelele is probably at its most fun when playing chords. Here are a few chords to get you started.
5) Learn some rhythm: Rhythm is essential to any good musician. I've written about the basics of learning rhythm here.
6) Practice! I'll put up the same link here that I did in my post for the basics of playing guitar: There is no excuse for no practice.
You're on your way to learning the ukelele! Follow these tips as closely as you can, and you'll be playing in no time.



No comments:
Post a Comment