So you want to write a song. How do you even begin such a daunting task? Fear not, fellow minstrel, I'm here with some tips to get your creative juices flowing.
How to start songwriting in 4 easy steps
Step 1: Choose your instrument
Most songs are written on piano, guitar, or synthesizers/keyboards, so those are good instruments to start with. If you're starting with a melody, you could sing it, or you could play it on any instrument that you're comfortable with (assuming that instrument has the range i.e. enough different notes, that you want).
Step 2: Choose your method
I firmly believe there are no hard and fast rules for how to write a song, and I know stories of many different (and successful) songwriters who've done it in different ways. So do whatever feels natural to you. If you're writing music and lyrics, you can start with the lyrics, or the music, or do both at the same time. It doesn't really matter.
If you need more guidance, I offer some tips in the following posts:
Songwriting Sessions: How to write a song
Songwriting Sessions: Writing the music before the lyrics
I wouldn't worry too much about how you "should" write. I would just start writing (and don't stop!).
Step 3: Know what to do if you get stuck
You can always make progress with your songs. For instance, there's always something to write about (which I've written about, here). You can use other artists as inspiration, if necessary (I've written about that here). And lastly, if you really feel stuck, learn some more theory. Theory is the universal solvent that remedies all musical confusion. Learn your scales, learn how songs are structured, and learn more about music.
And if all seems hopeless...
Step 4: Don't give up!
It may seem like you'll never finish that song, but don't give up! You aren't going to get worse as a songwriter, and if you keep putting a sincere effort, your skills will sharpen and you'll get your music done.
Get started on your path to songwriting awesomeness
Pick an instrument, pick a writing method, keep learning more, and keep at it. You can do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment