Writing a song is a lot like making a sandwich.
The core of your sandwich (meat, peanut butter, avocado, whatever floats your boat) is the core content of the song - the lyrics, melody, and the chord progression.
The extra layers or toppings of your sandwich (tomato, lettuce, honey, mustard, etc.) are the extra layers of your song. Maybe your song needs more bass, or a little more percussion. Maybe you need a horn section.
Some sandwiches are large and complex - same with songs with orchestras, electric guitars, lots of drums and harmonies, and so on.
Some sandwiches are simple (think peanut butter) - like a simple fingerpicked acoustic guitar with vocals.
What kind of sandwich are you making? Is it simple or complex?
What kind of song are you writing? Is it simple or complex?
The wrong toppings can ruin a sandwich. Peanut butter and horseradish probably don't go together (I'm not willing to try).
I'm not sure I can give a concrete example of two elements of a song that could never go together, no matter what. I've heard hip hop and country mixed together. I've heard jazz and metal although that is definitely an acquired taste, perhaps like peanut butter and horseradish.
Most people like pop music. Most people like straightforward sandwiches. You get the idea.
I'm not sure why I felt like comparing sandwiches to songs... I rarely even eat sandwiches! But I think the point is that you need to have the right elements for the right song. If you're writing the next "November Rain" (by Guns N Roses), you'd better have a great electric guitar solo (or three), some sweet piano playing, and a really good reason for making your song eight and a half minutes long!
But if you want a really intimate sounding song, something that feels really personal, perhaps you want to stick to the acoustic guitar and a few light strings. It's your call - you're the songwriter. But think about what will make your song speak to others best.
No comments:
Post a Comment