Welcome

Welcome to my blog

Welcome! If you're looking to learn guitar, ukelele, bass, songwriting, this is the place! Learn about me and what I do. About me ...

Friday, 27 January 2017

Wonderful Wonderwalls

Is it possible to take someone else's song and change it just enough so that, while it still bears some similarity to the original song, it ends up almost sounding like an entirely new song?

I believe these two videos answer the question with a "yes".

First, here's the original version of "Wonderwall" by Oasis.

I love this song. It will probably always be one of my favourite songs (I'd be surprised to see it leave my top 10, and it has pretty consistently been in my top 3). I love pretty much everything about this song and would love to have written it. In fact, I'd be happy write a song half as good as Wonderwall.

American Singer-Songwriter Ryan Adams decided that he'd take a slightly different approach: he covered "Wonderwall" in a beautiful and unique manner that, I think, really stands on its own. Here's Ryan Adams' version of the song. Listen to both and bask in the glory of two brilliant recordings of the same song.


I remember reading somewhere that Noel Gallagher, member of Oasis and the guy who wrote the song, loved Adam's version of the song - so much so, in fact, that his own performances of the song started sounding a little more like the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment